Wednesday, September 24, 2008

...and we're back!


It's amazin' how one win can rejuvenate a fan base. After losing three in a row, I had begun to write this team off. But we had Johan going and just like every start in the second half he did not disappoint. He started off a little shaky but settled down and finished with a line of 8IP, 10K's, and even helped tie the game with a broken bat single in the 4th. If there were any doubts about Johan's toughness, he proved he was a gamer by throwing 125 pitches, which I predicted he would yesterday. The Mets haven't had a true ace since Doc Gooden and after having Johan anchor this staff (no homo), I can see why these guys get paid the money they do. It's not about winning games- it's about winning those games that you absolutely need to. It's about having your backs to the wall, knowing that everyone is expecting you to lose but not letting your team quit on you. I sense that the 8 guys behind Johan always try to step up their game a little because they know he's doing to same on the mound. This rings true for this team in particular as we have a bullpen of historically bad proportions. I'm sorry, but at this point in the year we cannot trust anything to this bullpen. Our starters HAVE to go 7, at the least.

Speaking of shitty starters, can we please stop playing Luis Castillo? He looks like a geriatric old man limping around out there. He's batting .115. Jesus Christos!

And the phukin' Phils lost yesterday, moving us to within 1 game in the loss column. I had conceded the NL East but now I smell blood. It won't be easy having to face Zambrano and Harden the next two nights- but if we can split those two games, I like our chances. BTW- I'll be at the last game on Sunday and it's looking as if it may be the biggest game I'll ever see at Shea (hopefully it won't be the last). Oh, and Johan will be pitching. Hollywood couldn't make this stuff up.

No comments: