Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mets Crisis


This team has literally sucked the life out of me. I was convinced around the All-Star break that this was an "OK" team and I was OK with that. But then Carlos Delgado started raking, the starting pitching started running off quality starts and the bullpen actually saved some games. So then the jerk in me started to believe- I mean, it's the Mets, 'Ya gotta believe, right? Wrong. This team will rip your heart out like your first girlfriend. The only difference is this team costs a lot more than my first girlfried. Like $8 a beer more.

I've stopped getting mad. I've bordeline stopped caring about this team. They are who I thought they were. A good- not great- bunch of ballplayers. They try but they aren't that good. They aren't clutch. And in this city, the greats are immortalized not by stats but by rings. And rings are won by clutch players. If you are still getting mad about this team, you really need to ask yourself "what did I expect from this squad?"

Anyway, being two out with six to go means the NL East is probably out of the question. Our real hope lies in the Brewers being just as bad as us, so we can squeek into the playoffs and embarrass ourselves in the first round. I mean the only good that can come from this would be the sweeping changes across the board. If K-Rod isn't wearing Blue and Orange next year, Omar needs to go. I'd keep Delgado for one more year and trade Castillo for some of those plastic hardhats that hold beers on each side, with huge straws.

I'll be keeping tabs on this team closely the last six games of the season. More likely than not, the posts will probably get increasingly angry.

No comments: