Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fear and Grieving in Flushing

As you already know the Mets were eliminated from playoff contention last Sunday. I went to the game knowing they weren't going to win but I wanted to see the ol' girl off. And the Mets did a fantastic job with their closing ceremony. The obvious gripe is why did they wait until after the game?! Even if they had won, you would have had to kick all the players off the field while they were celebrating to start the ceremony. That was poor planning; but it really was amazin' to watch Tom Seaver throw the last pitch to Mike Piazza. This cements the Mike will eventually get his number retired.

I was thinking about my thought process as the Mets were pissing their season down the drain. It really came in waves of five...

Denial
I started denying how bad this team was last Thursday when we got the leadoff runner to third base in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings and only got ONE run in. And that run was WALKED IN! I can't believe this is happening...

Anger
I'm an angry person in general, so take this with a grain of salt. But my anger with this team really settled in Thursday night when I realized we had blown a golden opportunity to put our foot in the playoff door. The Brewers had won and the Phillies were off. Why me? Why God? Why?

Bargaining
I started to cope with my anger by thinking, "well, if we can just win two-out- of three, we should be fine." We only need 2-3... Please....

Depression
Well, it's Friday and we just lost again. Hope floats... in the Bronx, not in Queens. I mean there is the cloud over Shea and it's not from all those sketchy chop shops in the area either.

Acceptance
Well, it's official. Another winter of saying "wait till next year". I believe Rafiki said it best when he said "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it. " Great... I'm quoting someone who throws his feces for fun. Seriously.

No comments: